To ensure that your volunteer placement is the great lifetime experience that you hope for make sure you check out some of our amazing options. By volunteering through a respected organisation you can be sure that things operate the way they say they do and you won't be in for any nasty surprises.
What does STA Travel have to do with volunteering?
STA Travel has embarked on a responsible travel journey with Planeterra; a non-profit organisation dedicated to providing volunteer travel projects across the planet so that people can give back to the places they visits. Over the last few years STA Travel raised more than $250,000 for Planeterra for the following projects:
- Building a community centre and tourism training facility on the tsunami devastated island of Koh Phra Throng, Southern Thailand
- Installing 10 water tanks in the Bocas Del Toro islands of Panama to provide safe drinking water to the indigenous Kuna people
- $125,000 has just been raised to build a hospital ward for children in Kikuyu, Kenya, to restrict their exposure to disease
- STA Travel matches customer and staff donations towards our chosen projects (up to $35,000 annually)
Why pay to volunteer?
Handing over your hard-earned cash in return for life changing volunteer work might not make much sense to you, so here’s some points to help make it a little clearer for you:
- Your accommodation while at your project is included
- At many projects your meals are included as well
- Our volunteer projects desperately need materials, equipment, personnel and training
- A significant donation is included in the price which becomes vital to the local community
- Unfortunately keeping you safe in some pretty challenging environments doesn't come cheap
- In-country project coordinators will welcome you to the project and give you all the need to know information on arrival