There's more to travelling than sightseeing and a backpack full of snaps. Why not give something back on your next trip? We have a great range of volunteer projects or voluntours (touring with a little bit of volunteering thrown in) all around the world. Work with wildlife, communities, conservation or children and leave happy knowing you've made a positive impact on lives during your travels.
To ensure that your volunteer placement is the great lifetime experience that you hope for make sure you check out some of our amazing options. By volunteering through a respected organisation you can be sure that things operate the way they say they do and you won't be in for any nasty surprises.
What does STA Travel have to do with volunteering?
The STA Travel Foundation works with local communities, supports projects in amazing destinations and donates to global causes. We use existing resources and people power to make stuff happen, so all funds go where they're needed most. Over the last few years STA Travel raised more than $250,000 for causes around the world, including:
- Building a community centre and tourism training facility on the tsunami devastated island of Koh Phra Throng, Southern Thailand
- Installing 10 water tanks in the Bocas Del Toro islands, Panama to provide safe drinking water to the indigenous Kuna people
- Building a hospital ward for children in Kikuyu, Kenya, to restrict their exposure to disease
Why pay to volunteer?
Handing over your hard-earned cash in return for life changing volunteer work might not make much sense to you, so here’s some points to help make it a little clearer for you:
- Your accommodation while at your project is included
- At many projects your meals are included as well
- Our volunteer projects desperately need materials, equipment, personnel and training
- A significant donation is included in the price which becomes vital to the local community
- Unfortunately keeping you safe in some pretty challenging environments doesn't come cheap
- In-country project co-ordinators will welcome you to the project and give you all the need to know information on arrival