Lay-by your flights
with a deposit from $99FIND FLIGHTS
We all know that the further you book in advance the cheaper your trip is going to be, but sometimes pay day is just too far away! Worry not, with STA Travel’s Lay-by you can lock in your flights, tours and holiday packages with a deposit now and pay the rest later. This massively changes the way you book travel!
Available offline only, call us on 0800 474 400, send us a LiveChat, email us or book an appointment and we’ll help you book your perfect holiday. T&C's apply.
with a deposit from $99FIND FLIGHTS
with a deposit from $149FIND PACKAGES
with a deposit from $200FIND TOURS
If a Lay-by option is purchased by you, STA Travel shall make a payment on your behalf in order to secure your booking (the “Credit”). Subsequently, the Receipts and Booking Confirmations issued on this folder will include the payment made by STA Travel on your behalf. This Credit due to STA Travel must be repaid by you at least 10 (ten) weeks prior to your scheduled departure date from New Zealand (the “Final Due Date”). Therefore, you should check the applicable dates carefully before considering the purchase of a Lay-by product.
2. Consequences of late payment
Please note that, if there is a balance owing to STA Travel after the Final Due Date, you will be deemed to have terminated your Lay-by agreement. Consequently, STA Travel reserves the right to cancel the Lay-by portion of your booking and will be under no obligation to reinstate the Lay-by product(s).
3. Key Information for Lay-by products
1) Lay-by is available on selected STA Travel airfares and selected 3rd party land product suppliers for hotels, ground transport and touring product.
2) In order to secure a Lay-by product, it will be essential to pay a deposit, please note that such deposits are non-refundable, non-transferable deposit and payable at the time of booking.
3) Upon receipt of the deposit, your Lay-by product(s) will be fully confirmed, and flight tickets will be issued to guarantee the price.
4) Any changes (if permitted) to your booking will incur change fees or loss of deposit. (Valid MultiFLEX pass holders may redeem their pass for flight date changes). The change fees are calculated based on the respective booking conditions. Please note that any changes shall be subject to the price of the product(s) at the time of change. Therefore, the original price and availability cannot be guaranteed.
5) If an amendment is made to the scheduled departure date after paying the deposit, this will result in the final payment date being updated.
6) Full payment is due 10 (ten) weeks prior to your scheduled departure date. Any schedule changes made by the airline could result in the airline taking ownership of the ticket and in these instances the lay-by payment date may need to be brought forward to comply with these new flight conditions. Following full payment, amendments will attract the STA Travel change/cancellation and supplier fees as outlined in the individual product terms and conditions.
7) If this Lay-by agreement is cancelled prior to full payment, STA Travel will refund you the amounts paid by you less the initial flight deposit, any STA Travel fees and surcharges processed to date and 3rd party land supplier deposits.
8) Following cancellation, re-booking will be subject to the price of the product(s) at the time of re-booking. The original price cannot be guaranteed.
Valid on new bookings only. Sample package prices include accommodation plus STA Travel airfares for travel during the stated period. Prices are per person, based on double occupancy or dorm share at hostel/hotel and lowest available airfare, inclusive of taxes & fees. Prices will vary by date, departure city, and availability. Accommodation only prices are for the stated travel period, are based on dorm/twin share basis and include taxes and fees. Offers are subject to availability change and may be discontinued without notice. Additional restrictions, minimum stays and blackout dates may apply. Flights & package Lay-by deposit is only available on exclusive STA tickets and preferred STA product. The deposit is starting from $149 and is non-refundable and non-transferable. The price of the package is guaranteed upon receipt of the deposit. Once the deposit is paid, any requested changes to the itinerary (e.g./ dates, times, routes, departures, names) may incur change fees or loss of deposit. Full payment will be due 10 weeks (ten) prior to scheduled departure. Failure to meet the final payment deadline will result in the booking being cancelled and reservations returned to the airline, tour supplier and/or hotelier. The deposit will remain non-refundable and cannot be transferred to a new booking. Should you want to re-book, you will be subject to the price of the new ticket and services at the time of booking. Original prices cannot be guaranteed.
STA Travel offers Lay-by on selected 3rd party touring suppliers. Any tour available for Lay-by requires a non-refundable, non-transferable deposit that is payable at time of booking. All deposits are per person, per tour. Deposit amounts can differ for each tour supplier and will be confirmed within the individual supplier terms and conditions at time of booking. Selected tour suppliers have a minimum spend required to be able to apply a Lay-by. The price of your tour is guaranteed upon receipt of the deposit. Once the deposit is paid, any changes to your itinerary (e.g. dates, names, itineraries) will incur change penalties or loss of deposit. When making a change some suppliers require a new deposit to be paid, in some instances the original deposit may be deducted from the remaining tour balance. Changes to tours will be subject to the new tour price and will be subject to availability at the time of change. Therefore, the original price cannot be guaranteed. Full payment will be due 10 (ten) weeks prior to your scheduled departure, or departure from New Zealand. No Lay-by extensions can be given on a tour Lay-by. Failure to make payment by the payment deadline will result in your tour being cancelled. Your deposit will remain non-refundable and may not be able to be transferred to a new booking. Should you wish to re-book, the tour will be subject to the price at time of re-booking. The original price and availability cannot be guaranteed. Any other products, such as flights, travel insurance, ISIC card, rail passes etc. cannot be held using the Tour Lay-by deposit. Cancellation of the tour will result in loss of deposit, with the exception of G Adventures (Lifetime deposit) and Contiki (FlexDeposit).
Additional Information about tours from specific suppliers
Contiki ($200 deposit) - FlexDeposit: Lay-by for Contiki are starting from $200 at time of booking and the fee is securing a place on your dream trip. Your price will be guaranteed, and you can pay off the remaining balance 10 weeks before your scheduled departure. Your original deposit (excluding flights and any additional deposits) can be used as credit towards booking a new Contiki trip. Only one deposit amount can be credited per trip, they cannot be combined, however multiple trips can be booked using multiple FlexDeposits. Valid on all Contiki trips 7 days or longer until you turn 36. The deposit can also be gifted to family or friends within 5 years of the original booking. FlexDeposit has no cash value and is non-refundable. All other conditions not mentioned in this section continue to apply as described above.
G Adventures ($250 deposit) – Lifetime Deposit: Lay-by for G Adventures tours are starting from just $250. By using Lay-by, you can book now, pay later and the price of your tour will be guaranteed upon receipt of the deposit. You will have until 10 weeks before your scheduled departure to pay off the remaining balance. Your deposit is protected for life and may be applied towards payment of a deposit on another G Adventures tour (of equal or greater value, but not to the same or similar dates of travel). Alternatively, you can gift it to someone else to use. The deposit has no cash value, is non-refundable and only one Lifetime Deposit may be applied per person per product booked. All other conditions not mentioned in this section continue to apply as described above.
Busabout ($100 deposit): A non-refundable, non-transferable deposit of $100 is payable at the time of booking. Busabout Deposit is valid for trips over $400 only. The price of your tour will be guaranteed upon receipt of the deposit. Once the deposit is paid, any changes to your itinerary (e.g. dates, itineraries, names) may incur change penalties or loss of deposit. Full payment will be due 10 (ten) weeks prior to your scheduled departure, or departure from New Zealand, whichever is sooner. Failure to make final payment will result in your tour booking being cancelled. Your deposit will remain non-refundable and may not be transferred to a new booking. Should you wish to re-book, you will be subject to the price of the new tour at the time of booking. The original price cannot be guaranteed. Any other products, such as flights, travel insurance, ISIC card, rail passes etc. cannot be held using the Busabout Deposit.